Happy summertime to all our supporters. Since our last newsletter in mid-May following the Local Election results, there has been little news from TWBC on which to report. But your Executive have not been idle, we continue to monitor progress, or to be more accurate, lack of it, around the TWBC Local Plan, as well as emerging legislation changes and planning developments elsewhere.
WHERE ARE WE WITH THE TWBC LOCAL PLAN?
This journey continues to be a long and winding road, and we’d like to provide you with a recap of what has happened since the Inspector’s Examination in Public (EiP), which was a year ago now, and what we understand to be a realistic timetable going forward.
First, some history:
- Following the Inspector’s EiP in the summer of 2022 he presented his Initial Findings in November 2022. The key issues were that the evidence provided for Tudeley Village (TGV) was insufficient to justify exceptional circumstances for the land to be released from the Green Belt, and the proposed development at East Capel should be reduced.
- TWBC responded on 22nd December 2022 stating that “a proper assessment of the two Strategic Sites is likely to take some time in order to come to a robust conclusion.”
- The Inspector then wrote to TWBC again on 31st January 2023 stating that he appreciated TWBC’s position but asked them for “…an indicative timescale for progressing the examination, highlighting any significant milestones, no later than 17th February 2023.”
- TWBC responded on 17th February 2023 (the deadline) indicating:
- Substantive further work on strategic development options to be complete by the end of March 2023.
- Review of relevant evidence base documents by the end of April 2023.
- Following the Local Elections:
- 22nd June 2023 – Cabinet Meeting to review the recommendations on Suggested Changes to the Local Plan
- 5th July 2023 – Full Council Meeting to review the recommendations on Suggested Changes to the Local Plan
- 24th July 2023 – 17th September 2023 – consultation on the Suggested Changes
- November 2023 – Focused Hearings by the Inspector.
- TWBC then wrote to the Inspector again on 2nd June 2023, but not released to the public until 16th June 2023, after the Local Elections, stating that “the indicative timeframes for progressing the examination and the broad dates for the milestones must be revised……meaning a slippage to reporting to TWBC Members until at least August.”
We are interested to know the Inspector’s view of TWBC’s long, and lengthening, timeline.